- IM Residency Program
- Applicant Info
- Info for Matched Applicants
- Program Overview
- Program Announcements
- Firm Based Resident Clinics
- Tools & Resources
- Policies and Procedures
- Research & Scholarly Activity
- Picture Albums
Applicant InformationThank you for your interest in the Internal Medicine Resident Program (IMRP) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. On July 2018 the sponsorship of the program will transition to Carle Foundation Hospital. The IMRP participates in the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP) and only accepts applications through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Check our Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Begins when ERAS opens on September 16th;
- Applicants must apply through ERAS
- Email, paper or faxed documentation cannot be accepted and is not reviewed
- Our ACGME Program ID is 1401621456
- Our NRMP numbers:
- Categorical program: 2046140C0
- Preliminary program: 2046140P0
- Applications are welcomed from U.S. and International medical school graduates (only J-1 Visas, we do not sponsor H1B). To view our current residents, please click here.
- Please refer to FREIDA here.
Application Criteria - A complete application includes:
- A curriculum vitae (CV);
- A Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MPSE), Dean's letter from the candidate's medical school, or equivalent;
- At least three (3) letters of recommendation (waived letters);
- A personal statement;
- Medical School Transcript; and,
- United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Scores/Transcripts for Steps 1 & 2
- IMRP does not publish minimum score requirements
- COMLEX scores are accepted in lieu of USMLE for Osteopathic students
- Interviews, which are by invitation only, are held mid-October through February;
- Invitations to interview are offered via email; interviews are then self-scheduled through an on-line portal;
- Historically, the interview calendar fills by the end of November. An invitation-only waiting list is maintained, with openings filled on a first-come first-served basis;
- Interview candidates are invited to attend an optional dinner with current House Staff the evening prior to the interview;
- The typical interview day begins at 7:30 am and typically includes:
- A short presentation by the program Director
- Interviews with three faculty members
- Hospital tours
- Additional opportunities to interact with House Staff
- Lunch and exposure to an educational event
Preference for interviews is given to candidates who have:
- Passed the USMLE exams with no failures;
- USMLE transcripts documenting completion of Step 2 CS and CK must be available by February 1st prior to the NRMP Match (example: USMLE transcripts documenting CS and CK must be available in ERAS by February 1, 2018 for the Match in 2018);
- Graduated from Medical school within the past 4 years;
- U.S. clinical experience required, e.g. clinical observership or externship;
- The ability to meet Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation's requirements for Physician Temporary Licensure. This includes the ability to:
- Document at least 4 weeks of psychiatry rotation(s) in medical school;
- Obtain continuing medical education credits in a timely fashion if necessary.
- Without exception, international candidates must be Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certified by February 1st prior to the NRMP Match (example: candidates will need to be ECFMG certified by February 1, 2018 for the Match in 2018);.
- Residents must attend training at three clinical sites: Carle Foundation Hospital and OSF Heart of Mary Medical Center in Urbana, IL and at the VA Illiana Health Care System in Danville, IL. Transportation is not provided.
NOTE: Due to a high volume of inquiries, we are unable to review or comment on individual applicant inquires.
Please note that this information may be subject to change.
Once an interview time has been confirmed, lodging arrangements can be made at any area hotel. While there are many other options, for your convenience here is a short list of reasonably priced hotels:
Hampton Inn at U of I
America’s Best Inn
Drury Inn & Suites Champaign
Hyatt Place Champaign/Urbana
1001 Killarney St.
Residence Inn by Marriott