Medical students attending The University of Illinois College of Medicine - Urbana campus, formed Emergency Medicine Interest Group. UIUCCOM EMIG serves to increase awareness of career options within Emergency Medicine, to facilitate communication and interaction with professionals in Emergency Medicine, and to provide clinical experiences that will aid students as they discover their future careers in medicine:
- Develop a peer network for students aspiring to careers in emergency medicine and provide opportunities to assume leadership roles in organized emergency medicine.
- Provide information about the practice of emergency medicine as a board-certified specialty through periodic presentations by practicing emergency medicine physicians.
- Provide opportunities to experience clinical emergency medicine through physician shadowing and Illini EMS involvement (NCAA sporting events, Illini Marathon, etc.)
- Provide hands-on experiences through clinical skills workshops.
- Be a resource for information on residency training and career paths.
- Provide a forum to disseminate current news and information from national emergency medicine organizations including ACEP, SAEM, and EMRA.
- Encourage and recognize student research projects.